Friday, March 25, 2011

Ar-Riyad Restaurant Setiawangsa

Wife and kids had wanted McD for breakfast which I tagged along on a Sunday morning. As we arrived, the queue was simply astounding, including the drive-in lanes, as everyone was trying to beat the 12noon cut-off for the free 2 breakfast meals by spending RM5 purchase in a single receipt.


So, we just walked out and was trying hard to think an alternative for breakfast when the mamak Ar-Riyad Restaurant nearby which I have yet to sample their food beckons ahead of my slow drive.

I had actually walked into this restaurant one evening with my son andwanting to taste the fried chicken when I realised that I had left my wallet at home that I quickly walked out from the restaurant.

We walked in and the restaurant was full which probably due to McD long queue. Took our seats and it took about 5 minutes before a "macha" came to clean the table before odering.

I had seen "tips" in FourSquares that this restaurant has a reputation of slow service but fantastic food taste. True enough, it's really slow. As the common saying goes, if the food service is slow, the taste must be great.

It's 10 minutes later when the nasi lemak ayam arrived and judging from the manner the kids were "attacking" their food, I know it's really good and in actual fact the fragrant rice adds to the taste.

"Roti tissue tak ada. Banyak orderr." basically sums up the number of customers and perhaps the many still waiting for their food.

Roti tampal and roti telur we ordered was fluffy. The curry, dhall and sambal provides the added satisfaction to the taste bud.

Though in Kuala Lumpur (KL) we would not probably get the original taste as those in Penang, at least in my opinion, the hunt goes on till I find the nasi kandar Penang which charges slightly higher then those in KL that carries the same or even better taste.

Well I'm not cooking up a story about the pricing as seen from my 2 previous posting, here and here on same type of meal but had to pay higher for the lousy meal in KL.

I just love Nasi Kandar and banana leaf rice too much! ;-)

p/s. is there another Ar-Riyad Restaurant in Penang since 1970?

1 comment:

Mas Mesra said...

This restaurant is now sizzling hot with customers from all areas of Setapak as the food is good, service is much better now and price.. reasonable enough to come again.