Friday, March 25, 2011

Congrats KLHC!

Hockey has been in my blood ever since I was 7 years old when the hockey stick was taller then I do and had been in it till now.

Venturing into Kuala Lumpur then and was still playing social hockey in the KL hockey league till we came up with an adventurous idea of playing in the National Hockey League someday as a team. We had a good laugh but we have the character.


We are all aware that fitness is important playing on those watered artificial turf and when the ball could travel at great speed nowadays.

So which team I was referring to?

It started with HRM, then Ernst & Young (EY) before finally taking the shape of Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club (KLHC) where some of the best Malaysian talents in the game are representing the team without any foreign help as evident in other teams.

I had never liked to attend the finals where EY had played then as it sums up like a jinx when they lose in the finals in rpevious years.

This year, at the insistence of my son, we made our way in the slight drizzle to Stadium Tun Razak to witness the final where deep down in my heart, I want to break this jinx once and for all.

All around the stadium, KLHC yellow was the prominent colors every corner of the stadium and if that wsn't enough, there is a stall outside the stadium selling replica Malaysian football jerseys.

Hardly had we warmed the seats, the first goal came and the stadium broke into a ruptuos roar of yellow. As the game goes on, the result seems very likely in favor of KLHC. Sapura equaliser early in the second half certainly made the final more interesting and edgy moments suddenly appeared on KLHC bench.

Even with the equaliser, KLHC always look the likely winners on a cool evening when they won 3-1.

Many may not realise that amidst the prize giving ceremony 2 instrumental individuals of KLHC were missing from the rostrum, team manager, George Koshy and the coach, K Dharmaraj who were enjoying their quiet moment at the players bench.

Ever since I had knew these 2 individuals during my hockey playing days, the above best describes their humble and players welfare abvoe themselves approach which explains why KLHC/EY have always been a top playing club in the Malaysia Hockey League.

Even "Michael Jackson" made an appearance in yellow and danced to the tunes played by the Air Force Band.

There were many firsts on that night at least for me, KLHCs' first Malaysia League title, I broke the jinx and my son's first time on an artificial turf.

No comments: