Monday, December 7, 2009

Mt Kinabalu, Sabah home to World's Highest Via Ferrata

The locals would always ask the visitor how they like the place of visit.  Likewise, I was faced the same by many similar questions and would have to admit that, I do have a real soft spot for Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ever since I first step foot to the state in East Malaysia aptly tagged as Land Below The Wind.

It remains a mystery why most visitors to Sabah had felt this way but we can safely say that the warmth hospitality and custom of the locals remains intact through the years.



Prior to my recent trip, I had told myself that I would be on a mission to find out more about Mount Kinabalu as well as the climb up the mountain located in Kinabalu National Park which was accorded UNESCO World Heritage status due to its richness of animal, flora and fauna species.

It is during a meeting, that I found out one can actually stay high up at 3270m on the Laban Rata rocks while climbing the mountain in a rather more "exciting" challenge through Via Ferrata! Accommodation in Pendant Hut is a change from the norm with its cozy and eco-friendly alpine lodge while enjoying the panoramic view from the mountains.

For a moment, I was in the dark as to what via ferrata was all about till a little further probe and research, I found that via ferrata is not for the weak but a compulsory good health with 3-4 months regular exercise is required before one is ready for the challenge.

The facility on Mt Kinabalu is managed by Mountain Torq team and reputedly, it is the Guinness World Record world's highest and asia's first via ferrata at 3,520metres.

An impromtu dinner meeting with the Mountain Torq team allows me to further digest why the team is all geared up to receive more visitors for an exhilarating moments up in the skies.

Certificates would be issued to participants upon completion for the via ferrata challenge as well as a separate certificate for the climb up Low's Peak in what Quek I-Gek termed as "roof of Borneo".

Wrapping up the meeting, the expert advise for me was to go on a strict exercise regime and a tentative end-May 2010 date is set for a breathtaking experience of the via ferrata.

Thanks Vincent, Ros Mary, Wilfred and Quek I-Gek for the insight to Via Ferrata!

No comments: